Monday, November 21, 2011

A story about Doug Coo

As mentioned earlier Justice Coo has died.

A real loss.

I thought about telling this story and concluded there is no harm -- it says a lot about him.

Years about, before the merger of the County and District Courts and the Supreme Court, I appeared before His Honour on a sentencing. The accused was clearly troubled and Justice Coo had decided on a sentence that would focus on mental health issues rather than punishment.

As he was giving judgment I saw, out of the corner of my eye, something flying towards the judge from behind me. A shoe. It hit Justice Coo. My client, from the prisoner's box, had thrown a shoe and hit the judge.

Justice Coo paused and then continued as if nothing happened. Then at the end of the sentencing he picked up the shoe and handed it to a clerk to give to my client merely commenting 'I believe you dropped this'. He knew the attack on him was merely a manifestation of the mental issues that brought the accused before the Court -- there was no malice.

Justice Coo was a man of great discernment and integrity. A truly admirable judge.

1 comment:

Barbara Walker-Renshaw said...

A lovely story. Thank you for posting it. I have appeared before Justice Coo on many occasions in recent years, when he sat as the legal member or Alternate Chair of panels of the Consent and Capacity Board and Ontario Review Board. You have captured his unflappable, fair demeanour as a judge and his deep understanding of the challenges posed by mental illness. He was a great role model.